Since 1986, the Medicare Hospice Benefit has been available to all Americans who qualify for Medicare. Today, hospice programs face more challenges as they work to comply with an aging Medicare population, new regulatory requirements, and shrinking budgets. Now more than ever, hospice needs to have a strong and unified voice on Capitol Hill. Our community needs to educate Congress on the value of hospice in the US. To do this, we need the help of committed Hospice Advocates- like you.
The Hospice Action Network is the Advocacy Affiliate of NHPCO. Its mission is to advocate, with one voice, for policies that ensure the best care for patients and families facing the end of life. The Hospice Action Network fights to ensure compassionate, high-quality care for all Americans facing a life-limiting illness by:
- Expanding an ongoing and influential presence on Capitol Hill,
- Mobilizing a growing network of Hospice Advocates throughout the nation,
- Empowering, through new and innovative techniques, an interactive community connecting the public with Hospice Advocacy, and
- Cultivating relationships with the media to highlight issues impacting end-of-life care.
Join us! Anyone can become a Hospice Advocate. You don’t have to work for a hospice program, or even volunteer for one. If you care about the direction of end-of-life care in this country, we welcome you! There are also many different levels of involvement:
- Sign up to be a Hospice Advocate! Keep updated through our periodic newsletters and action alerts, we’ll let you know when there is an important issue facing hospice, and how you can help. We’ll even connect you directly with your Members of Congress.
- Learn about the issues! Consider going above and beyond. Interested in more ways to plug in to advocacy? Email us at email@example.com, and we’ll be happy to point you in the right direction!